Monday, August 31, 2009

Saturday

Saturday was spent getting ready for the Kenny Chesney concert. He is my FAVORITE singer ever so I was very excited. Ashley's birthday is this week so I decided to go with Rainbow Cupcakes, inspired by this rainbow cake. I've made the rainbow cake in the past and the icing, although low in calories, is hard to work with and honestly I wasn't really caring about caloric intake this day. So I borrowed her recipe for the batter and just used store bought icing....saved time and deliciousness!

2 boxes white cake mix
24 oz of clear diet soda (I used two cans of Sprite Zero which we also brought along as mixers for our vodka!)
gel food coloring

- Mix the cake mix with the soda according to regular instructions on box. It will be lumpy afterward. It won't be as lumpy if you have a 'ranga helping you mix :)

As for the batter part....I semi followed her directions, except I didn't really care about equally measuring out the batter for the six different colors. I just used my best judgement. And I did one batch following ROYGBV and the other I did backwards. I knew they would taste good and would be covered in icing anyway....perfection was not my goal!My batter turned out way more pastel looking than the Rainbow Cake....but I liked it, it was more girly. (I also think that lady has a spiffy camera and photoshop skillz)

Then I glooped (I made up that word) the batter spoonful by spoonful into the cupcake trays. Next time I would probably use smaller spoonfuls b/c some of the cupcakes came out with muffin tops!

Here they are fresh out of the oven....they are almost tie-dye like. Maybe I will change their name from Rainbow Cupcakes to Tie-Dye Cupcakes.

And the final product. 1/2 chocolate and 1/2 vanilla. I should've taken a picture after a bite into one of them, but by then I was in the limo, on the way to the concert and way too excited to take pictures of cupcakes! This is a blog in progress after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment