Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Book Club

At the beginning of the summer two of my neighbors, my sister and I all decided we needed to start a book club where we could get together every month and talk about a book, but mainly eat and drink (not to mention gossip). Last night we gathered at my place where I played host and we talked about the book, The Time Traveler's Wife, for maaaaybe five minutes. (half of us, I won't name names, didn't finish) Last month we read The Almost Moon and had a huge discussion about it...it's pretty effed up so there was much to talk about. Plus, Lara made a delectable spread of summer salads that we filled up on. So, how did I top her? HAH! I could never top Mrs. Newman and her homemade goodies...so here's my shot at it:

I didn't have much time between my hair appointment and our 7pm start time so I decided that pre-packaged food was going to have to suffice for the majority of my spread. I took Harris Teeter Moroccan hummus and Tuscan bruschetta and plopped them into two separate bowls and served them with Stacey's whole grain pita chips. I also had a veggie platter to tide everyone over while I whipped up my salad. I will spare you photos as I'm sure you all can imagine what those things look like :)

For the salad I cut up 2 avocados, 2 tomatoes, fresh basil and a ball of mozzarella cheese. While I was chopping and throwing the pieces in a bowl I was cooking up a box of sun dried tomato couscous which is the easiest thing to make since Easy Mac.
Once the couscous was ready I threw it in with the rest of the goodness, drizzled on some olive oil and balsamic vinegar then sprinkled some salt and pepper and a few tosses later it was ready to be consumed!
NOM!

While everyone was eating I had to whip up my oh-so-easy but omghowdidyoumakethis? dessert/appetizer (it can be used as either). It tastes the best warm so timing is everything. It's so easy and delicious you will nom your face off. Grab a wedge of brie cheese, your favorite flavor of jam (I like rasperry) and a tube of Pillsbury reduced fat croissants. Cut off the rind or crust, if you will, of the brie and roll it up into the croissant dough...make the ball kind of flat so the dough cooks all the way through. Throw it in the oven for 30 mins on 350. The brie will most likely leak out. Cover a plate with the jam, place the baked brie on top and serve with crackers!

Look at that ooey, gooey cheese!

And soon this, will look like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment